Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fundamentalism

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fundamentalism
From: Andrew McGuinness <cogers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 03:56:22 -0800 (PST)

I like your thinking...

IMHO, the aim with fundamentalism was to have a
society that was very stable and militarily capable,
but static.  Your suggestion would be almost the
opposite - dynamic but unstable.

Maybe make every new technology aquired trigger a
chance of a revolt?  The civ2 50% research penalty
proved to be an insufficient "disadvantage" to this
type of goverment.

Incidentally, I have always felt that "Fundamentalism"
was a poor choice of name.  I would much prefer
"Theocracy".  But I suppose, since civ2, we're stuck
with it.

--- Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> File this in the
> After-2.0-And-We-Can-Consider-Your-Lame-Idea box.
>
> Fundamentalism sure seems powerful. But what's the
> problem with a
> fundamentalist mindset?
>
> Other fundamentalists.
>
> Every turn your government is a Fundamentalist
> government, there is a
> cumulative one percent chance that a revolt will
> occur, costing you however
> many cities a revolt would consume.
>
> Effectively making Fundamentalism a very useful
> thing to get you out of a
> jam, but far too dangerous to maintain.
>
> --
> Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

=====
Andrew McGuinness                Luton, UK
andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx