Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: War/Peace

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: War/Peace
From: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:58:27 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> At 2000/03/07 08:29 , Arkadiusz Danilecki wrote:
> >     I want to hear your opinion about few things before i will start
> >to change code. At the end of this letter there is alos a list of things
> >which will need to be changed if we introduce war/peace concept.
>
> There is a very complete description of the Civ2 Diplomacy model in the
> Civ2 manual.

        I assume you won't send me copy via snail-mail? B->

> >in struct player i would add following fields (names does not matter now)
> >
> >     int war_peace;
> >     char *state;
>
> These two seem somewhat redundant.  And, war_peace is not expressive
> enough.  In Civ2 there are five diplomatic states: Alliance, Peace,
> Neutrality, Cease Fire, War.  These seem like a reasonable set to implement.

ok, so enum state_type (S_ALLY,S_WAR,S_NEUTRAL,S_PEACE,S_CEASEFIRE,S_WAR)
i would add for future use S_NONAGGRESIVE (pact of non aggression between
players seems good idea to implement). Can someone describe difference
between peace and neutrality? Neutrality means you don;t have any
diplomatic contact with civilisation or what? And what with cease of fire,
how that was established and could be that breaked without senate action?

> Putting these states in each player allows for, e.g., player A to view
> player B as Neutral, while player B views player A as War.  This is
> perfectly okay (in fact, I believe Civ2 worked this way), but needs to be
> considered during coding.

        Seems strange to me.

> >     char *reputation;
> Reputation is how *other* civilizations view *you*.  It probably should be
> a single value that factors into other civ's actions towards you (like in
> Civ2).

        ok, so int reputation for you global reputation and
int attitude[MAX_NUM_PLAYERS] for how you see others?

> >     char pacifism;
> >     /* this is additional proposition. it is global attitude for war
> >in our civilisation. rationale below */
>
> So, in game terms, this would affect what your Senate does, right?  Higher
> pacifism would lead to more Senate intervention.

        Yes. The idea is that in democracy people goes very soon tired of
_any_ wars even if they don't like opponent.

> >Changes needed for first glance:
> >
> >1) score. Additional pts for peace periods? Sometimes we forgot that in
> >civ should be three ways of winning: wipe all civilisations, reach alpha
> >centauri, _or_ having bigger score at the end of game.
>
> Civ2 included the number of turns of "world peace" in your score, but
> "world peace" was not well defined (at least, I never figured it out).
>
> Freeciv is a little different.  Maybe "peace" should mean that you are at
> peace with all other civs, whether or not they are at peace with you
> (otherwise, the civ with the best military just declares war on everyone,
> and then nobody else could get the peace bonus).

        hm.. still idea that when someone attacks me i am still at peace
with him and senate could even overrule my decision of declaring war seems
strange to me.

> >6) what about diplomat actions? i can;t remember how it was in paycivs.
>
> Some diplomat actions were like attacks, in that you couldn't do them in
> certain diplomatic states.  Also, some diplomat actions affected your
> reputation.
>
> Again, this is all well described in the Civ2 manual.

        I wish i had one.

> >8) when someone propose you peace, and you don;t agree, you can be
> >overruled by senate too. i have no idea how to do it with using treaty
> >dialog.
>
> I'm not sure what you meant here, but all things like Senate intervention
> should be decided by the server.

        Question is ,,should we add option propose peace to treaty
dialog''. If yes, then after treaty it would had to be confirmed by
senate.

> >9) can't make peace with barbarians, you always at war with them
>
> Basically, yes.  But, maybe it's really a special case.  For example, being
> at war with barbarians may not affect your "peace with everybody" bonus.

yes

szopen