[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Valutas patch

To: maniek@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Valutas patch
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:45:41 EST

From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:34:04 +0100

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 08:35:57AM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:
> I tend to think this is an unnecessary complication, but it seems > some people do like it.

This is also root of new ideas (read: even less necessary >complications) as exchange rates, new trade routes, new stock >exchanges and inflation.

There is a fine line between necessary and unnecessary complications. All else being equal, simple, elegant rules are preferred to more complicated ones, because they are easier to understand and easier to code. In the case of the names of national currency, it's more a matter of taste. However, if you are talking exchange rates and inflation, I firmly believe that they do not belong in Freeciv. Maybe I am just dumb, but I just don't see how that could make the game any more fun. IMHO, that level of detail is truly unnecessary.

> This of course would not help unless you are running the server > because rulesets are loaded from the server side.

But how do you expect server to send some messages with credits
and some with local currencies ? Server-side switching is the only >option with current freeciv architecture.

My point exactly. The player just doesn't have a choice. The solution would be a fully player customizable nation. Then you can use whatever currency you please.

By the way, currency has indeed been around for a long time. However, during its long history, the most common form of currency is precious metal, more often than not gold or silver, be it bars, coins, whatever. Even today, gold is still argurably the only true international currency, American Imperialism notwithstanding.

Mike