[Freeciv-Dev] Re: yet more new cities

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: yet more new cities
From: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:57:29 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> Arkadiusz Danilecki wrote:
[cut]
> >         But there are no more Romans! If you create nation of
> > Polans, they could have cities of calisia etc, because there are
> > no more polans.
>
> There are in the game. Seems to me that the problem is that some people
[cut arguments]

ok. This seems reasonable to me.

[cut]
> I think everyone does respect your feelings on this but it does seem a
> little oversensitive (at least to me). The thing is that FreeCiv is a
> game. It's not a re-enactment of history and the cities and nations in
> the game don't (or at least in my view shouldn't) represent the real
> ones except in a very superficial way (e.g. names, flags, rulers) that
> adds colour to the game.

This is reasonable again. Maybe i am oversensitive.

> > > If you wanted to, you could also fret about why Alexandria is
> > > listed as an Egyptian city, when it was in fact built by the
> > > Greeks.
> >
> >         I don;t care about alexandria. I don't live there. Of course you
> > can call me paranoic, but i can't manage that.
>
> I don't want to harsh, but that makes you hypocritical. If we are going
> to be politically correct about it then logically we have to apply those
> guidelines to everything. The fact that the occupation of Britain by the
> Romans happened so long ago that no one cares anymore doesn't matter.

That's right. Roman occupation happened many centuries before our birth.
But How many years ago germans officialy (erm, i miss the word) aknowledge
(accept?) our borders? And still there are people in germany, happily only
few (but there is loud about them here) who think places where ihave born
should come back to germany. That could make you paranoid isn't it?

About aleksandria -this is different. None in greece wants alexandria come
back to greece.

But you have right that this is only a game so i think we could finish
this discussion now. And when i think about it, i come to conclusion that
maybe i am oversensitive because of propaganda for last 40 years (not that
i am so old B-> )

Ok, i think this is EOD from me.