[Freeciv-Dev] Re: yet more new cities

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: yet more new cities
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:34:39 +1100

Arkadiusz Danilecki wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Sean Connor wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 07:59:31PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > > a)
> > > Roman/English should be resolved, this really mess in one's mind if he
> > > has both Danzig and Gdansk.
> >
> > Really, this 'problem', if you choose to make it one, goes deeper
> > than that.  Off hand, I noticed that the French nation contains
> > Paris and Lyons, which were the Roman cities of Lutetia and
> > Lugdunum, respectively.  Both Lutetia and Lugdunum are in the
> > Roman nation, as well.
>
>         But there are no more Romans! If you create nation of
> Polans, they could have cities of calisia etc, because there are
> no more polans.

There are in the game. Seems to me that the problem is that some people
here are talking in terms of the game and some people are talking in
terms of real life. The way I see it many cities have had different
names under different nations and it seems pointless to differentiate
between the ones which had different names under nations that no longer
exist in our world and the ones that do since in both cases in the game
the cities the names will be used on can appear at the same time.

> > To me, it's simple.  Lutetia is a Roman city; Paris is a French
> > city.  Londinium is a Roman city; London is an English city.
> > Danzig is a German city; Gdansk is a Polish city.  Koenigsberg
> > is a German city; Kaliningrad is a Russian city.  Is that too
> > complicated for you?  :)
>
>         Well.. i ask few my friends and 90% of them, to my surprise,
> agreed with you. So you have right, after all. But let me explain why
> it is ,,too complicated'' to some of us.
>         The problem is that there are no more romans, and italians do not
> publish maps with londinium as italian city which is temporarily under
> british occupation. And during my short time i read about german maps
> where danzig, stettin, breslau are ur-deutsche cities which are part of
> great german vaterland. This can make you nervous.
>         I know this _should not_ be case. But it is.

I think everyone does respect your feelings on this but it does seem a
little oversensitive (at least to me). The thing is that FreeCiv is a
game. It's not a re-enactment of history and the cities and nations in
the game don't (or at least in my view shouldn't) represent the real
ones except in a very superficial way (e.g. names, flags, rulers) that
adds colour to the game.

> > If you wanted to, you could also fret about why Alexandria is
> > listed as an Egyptian city, when it was in fact built by the
> > Greeks.
>
>         I don;t care about alexandria. I don't live there. Of course you
> can call me paranoic, but i can't manage that.

I don't want to harsh, but that makes you hypocritical. If we are going
to be politically correct about it then logically we have to apply those
guidelines to everything. The fact that the occupation of Britain by the
Romans happened so long ago that no one cares anymore doesn't matter.

Regards,
Steve Hodge