[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation questions

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation questions
From: Stig Erik Sandoe <stig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:34:59 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 01:08:01AM +0100, Stig Erik Sandoe wrote:
>
> The only true way is to disable titles.
> Ordinar ones (the Great, the Magnificent) has been already disabled (Feb 11)
> Is it time to disable the rest ?
>
> Or go another way :
> 1) one-language names
> 2) some pool of _()'ed titles from which every ruler take it's
>    adjective randomly (w/ or w/o repeating)

No, the best way is to be able to translate the full names as
everything else, ie
English                 Norwegian
"Richard Lionheart"     "Rikard Løvehjerte"
"Henry VIII"            "Henrik VIII"
"Louis XIV"             "Ludvig XIV"

As you can see, even the names of the rulers (not just the
titles) are translated and my guess is that this happens in several
other languages.

> > - The Viking nation uses the norwegian flag and is apart from a few
> >   entries just modern norwegian cities (or villages as I see
> >   them).  It  is of course flattering that it's still _the_ Viking
> >   nation but it is a misleading name.  My suggestion is to update
> >   this entry with the major modern norwegian cities and call it
> >   Norway and then make a Viking nation with just the old Viking
> >   cities using as close as possible viking-spelling, ie Jorvik
> >   instead of York (which is english today).  A few name-clashes with
> >   other countries might occur though.
>
> IIRC, Vikings are Norway+Iceland.

Vikings are Norway, Denmark and Sweden (ie Scandinavia).  The
vikings explored and conquered in different directions, and Iceland
and Greenland were settled by norwegian vikings.

As for the names, there is no icelandic cities in the file.

> Norwegian/Icelandic spelling for them is a good thing.
> Please send patch.

I understand that a split of the two was ok?

Stig Erik Sandoe     stig@xxxxxxxxx    http://www.ii.uib.no/~stig/