[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation questions

To: Stig Erik Sandoe <stig@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation questions
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:30:42 +0100

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 01:08:01AM +0100, Stig Erik Sandoe wrote:
> hi,
>
> I looked through the default nations.ruleset and found a few things
> that needed comments:
>
> - The rulers' names are not translated it seems, e.g "Erik the
>   Bloodaxe" is the default Viking leader but this name seems rather
>   silly if you should use the norwegian translation as his name in
>   norwegian is 'Eirik Blod?ks' and several other leaders' names have
>   been translated in 'Real Life' and it would be nice to have the
>   names fit with the translation.  Is it just to add the _( ) around
>   the names?

The only true way is to disable titles.
Ordinar ones (the Great, the Magnificent) has been already disabled (Feb 11)
Is it time to disable the rest ?

Or go another way :
1) one-language names
2) some pool of _()'ed titles from which every ruler take it's
   adjective randomly (w/ or w/o repeating)

> - The Viking nation uses the norwegian flag and is apart from a few
>   entries just modern norwegian cities (or villages as I see
>   them).  It  is of course flattering that it's still _the_ Viking
>   nation but it is a misleading name.  My suggestion is to update
>   this entry with the major modern norwegian cities and call it
>   Norway and then make a Viking nation with just the old Viking
>   cities using as close as possible viking-spelling, ie Jorvik
>   instead of York (which is english today).  A few name-clashes with
>   other countries might occur though.

IIRC, Vikings are Norway+Iceland.

Norwegian/Icelandic spelling for them is a good thing.
Please send patch.