[Freeciv-Dev] Re: yet more new cities

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: yet more new cities
From: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:47:08 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 02:39:02PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > > 1)
> > > Danzig is german name of Gdansk, which is already in Polish cityset.
> > > Please don't double it.
> > >
> > > 2)
> > > Koenigsberg is actual Russian city Kaliningrad.
> > > If you want to give it to Germans, make a comment for Russians :
> > >
> > > ; Kaliningrad is already allocated as German city Koenigsberg
> > >
> > > and for Polish (this was Polish city very long time) :
> > >
> > > ; Królewiec is already allocated as German city Koenigsberg
> >
> > a) I don't see any reason why two cities that happened to be historically
> > the same shouldn't appear twice in a game of freeciv.  Lots of the Roman
> > cities are also English cities, but I don't think that matters at all.  In
> > some vague alternate universe, they might have given these names to
> > different pieces of soil...

Well, romans are no more. And i don't know how others but _i_ feel very
unconfortable when i see cities like breslau, stettin, danzig. I am sure
it could be the same for lethuvians when they see wilno (vilnius) as
polish city, or ukrainians when they see Lwow (Lviv) as polish city.
Or white russians (belorussians??) when they see Minsk. etc, etc.
A.D.Danilecki "szopen"