[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Questions Irrigation

To: Robert Brady <rwb197@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jason Todd <idjason@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Questions Irrigation
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:09:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Robert Brady wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Jason Todd wrote:
>
> > No. You see, the city only <I>recieves</I> the irrigation bonus, it doesn't
> > actually have any irrigation.
>
> Likeways with railroad (although not as obvious). Somewhere in civ, i

Hmm.  I assumed *not* with railroads, since the railroad is still there if
the city is destroyed.

IMO, the issue of 'what's going on under the city' was one of the the
annoyances of Civ I.  You just didn't really know.

It also made for some bizarre decisions.  For example, the shield bonus
(IIRC) meant that it was much better to build on grassland (which was
2/0/0, becoming 3/1/1 because of the shield bonus and the road and the
irrigation) than on plains (1/1/0 becoming 2/1/1).

I would vote for: the land under the city being really irrigated, if of an
appropriate terrain type, and really roaded.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Jules aka     | jules@xxxxxxxxxx              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |