[Freeciv-Dev] Re: wonder notification

To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: wonder notification
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:06:23 +0000 (GMT)

On 25 Jan 2000, Falk Hueffner wrote:

> Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 05:11:46PM +0100, Daniel Zinsli was heard to say:
> > > I see that freeciv informs all when someone (non-ai) starts building a
> > > wonder, which is afaik different from civ2.
> >
> >   Actually, for all players (unless it's changed since the last release),
> > and this *is* how CivII does it.
> >
> > > Is there a reason for it being the way it is?
> >
> >   Well, personally, I prefer it this way -- it makes the competition to
> > build Wonders ahead of the other players that much more vicious.
>
> Well, actually I tend to build the wonder I would like least, and the
> switch to the "real" wonder just before finishing :) But generally, I
> like this feature, too; I even think there should be a report stating
> what wonders are currently being built and where, since you could have
> written down every message in theory.

Yet another reason, IMO, that this behaviour (ability to switch wonders
without penalty) should be considered a bug. What's the point in
announcing wonders if people are free to start building any wonder and
switch at the last minute.

In general, any rule which makes micromanagement beneficial is bad, IMO..

> Probably a better way would be to randomly give players information
> like these, perhaps based on how much they spend on "Intelligence"...

That would be cool.

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Jules aka     | jules@xxxxxxxxxx              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |