Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Re: Suggestion: boat attack

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Re: Suggestion: boat attack
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 13:06:29 -0500

Reinier Post (rp@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > At least
> > > in a variant form, Magellan's expedition should only allow to have more
> > > moves not more attacks, e.g., by not allowing to use the last two moves
> > > to attack if you have Magellan's (similar for Lighthouse). Is there
> > > anything on this in Civ2?
>
> I like this idea.  Magellan's is too powerful.

Be careful.  If you set an option which globally makes units unable to
use an attack when they have MP<=2 then none of the early land units
will be able to attack at all.  If you simply do it for ships, then the
first couple ships won't be able to move (even once) and then attack on
the same turn.

Even if your option is triggered only for the player who has Magellan,
then you still have a potential problem when someone wants to move his
Ironclad 5 spaces and then attack once.  If your objective was only to
prevent someone from attacking 6 times per turn, then the cure is worse
than the disease -- now he can't attack even once.

> > You'd have to have at least one extra variable in the unit struct, for
> > attacks_left (we currently have only moves_left).
>
> Why?  The difference between movement left and attacks left is global,
> it doesn't vary per unit.

Sounds over-generalized.  Should a mechanized infantry be able to attack
as many times per turn as a tank?

If you want to limit attacks per turn, then doing funny things with
movement points sounds like a clumsy approach.  I'm worried about the
side effects I haven't thought of yet....

Has anyone tried the patch I posted recently which attempts to bring
ships into Civ2 compliance by decreasing movement points after an attack?
Does it go far enough toward the goals of this thread?

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers