Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] [patch] Re: Suggestion: boat attack

To: Karsten Held <Karsten.Held@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch] Re: Suggestion: boat attack
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:03:21 -0500

Karsten Held (Karsten.Held@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > In Civ2, when a ship attacks and takes damage, its remaining movement
> > points are recomputed based on its new hit points.  Freeciv does not
> > do this.

> Do you know, how the remaining movement points are recomputed in Civ2?
> Reasonably would be
> (original movement points - movement points done including attack)
>   * movement points with new damage/ original movement points

I've attached a patch which implements what I think the correct formula
is.  It's just a guess, though.

> At least
> in a variant form, Magellan's expedition should only allow to have more
> moves not more attacks, e.g., by not allowing to use the last two moves
> to attack if you have Magellan's (similar for Lighthouse). Is there
> anything on this in Civ2?

You'd have to have at least one extra variable in the unit struct, for
attacks_left (we currently have only moves_left).  Plus you'd need a
way to display both numbers to the user.  Civ2 has nothing like this --
and I don't think it's very useful, but if you really want to code it
up as a new option, go ahead. :-)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers