Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: boat attack

To: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Suggestion: boat attack
From: Karsten Held <Karsten.Held@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:47:44 +0100

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> In Civ2, when a ship attacks and takes damage, its remaining movement
> points are recomputed based on its new hit points.  Freeciv does not
> do this.
>
> (E.g., in Civ2, when I attack a city with a Cruiser that has 4 MP left,
> I might take enough damage that I have 0 MP left after the attack (though
> 1-2 is more typical).  In Freeciv, no matter how much damage it takes,
> the Cruiser will always have 3 MP left after the attack.)

I never played Civ2 but this appears to result in a somewhat better balance
between sea and ground troops. Since Freeciv aims to clone Civ2, I think
Freeciv
should work this way, too.

Do you know, how the remaining movement points are recomputed in Civ2?
Reasonably would be
(original movement points - movement points done including attack)
  * movement points with new damage/ original movement points

One disadvantage of this solution is that Magellan's expedition becomes
even more powerful and probably THE essential wonder on gen 2. At least
in a variant form, Magellan's expedition should only allow to have more
moves not more attacks, e.g., by not allowing to use the last two moves
to attack if you have Magellan's (similar for Lighthouse). Is there
anything on this in Civ2?

Karsten