Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Using tax rates

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Using tax rates
From: Stan Shebs <shebs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:17:09 -0800

I've been working on extending Xconq to handle Civ-type games, and
have some good luck building on work by Hans Ronne from a while ago.
One of things I've had to do was work out the trade -> tax/lux/science
conversion, the problem being how to "fairly" divide up small amounts
by percentage.  My first attempt at this didn't work very well, so I
cheated :-) and looked at freeciv sources, and found a really
interesting algorithm in cityturn.c:set_tax_income.  It seems to work,
but there is no explanation of how/why, and I must confess that it has
me stumped.

Is there some kind soul out there who understands freeciv's trade
conversion algorithm and can explain it?  Thanks!

                                                        Stan Shebs
                                                        shebs@xxxxxxxxxx