Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wishlist

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: FreeCiv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wishlist
From: jesdynf <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:24:19 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Reinier Post wrote:

> > How smart can we make the server? Can we make the server responsive, say,
> > to Tcl/Tk calls?
>
> I am not exactly sure what you intend to do.  There have been several
> implementations of a GUI interface to the server (one of the Frequently
> Requested Features) but it shouldn't be implemented at the expense of the
> command line interface.  As far as I can see, the best approach is to

Maybe I oughta explain.

MegaHAL is a console app. There's some sort of trickery, though, that will
allow it to be linked with tcl8.0.so or something, so that you've got a
megahal.so. You call that thing inside whatever you're working with -- an
Eggdrop, or a .cgi script -- and then you've got access to the inner
functions of the program as Tcl functions.

I wish I understood how it worked, but it allows you to run
"Hal_train("I'm a little teapot.");" or "Hal_cleardictionary();" from
inside a script. It works; you end up with a conversational AI running
inside your bot. [And does -that- ever cause some confusion.]

Maybe this whole thing isn't feasible -- of course, if it -is-, that'd
simplify writing a GUI enormously, since you can write a GUI in Tk. <g>

Maybe I need to relearn Tcl. It's been so long...

Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>