Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wishlist

To: jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx, FreeCiv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wishlist
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 13:37:31 +0100

On Sat, Nov 27, 1999 at 07:44:02PM +0000, jesdynf wrote:
> It might be nice if we could find someway to authenticate clients -- just
> to provide a good sense of who's who. Maybe a space to put the PGP
> fingerprint in .freecivrc -- do we even HAVE a .freecivrc? Maybe be able
> to send the server a private-key signed message saying you are who you
> assert you are...?

Agreed.  Plans are in

  http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/freeciv_hackers_guide.txt#L297

but they haven't been implemented yet.

> I'm just thinking of structured tournaments, sort of -- say, take the top
> three scorers of a six-person game and advance them up to the next game.
> You'd really want to be able to properly ID the players if you were
> running that...

Yes.  Now that we even have a civserver.freeciv.org
(out of Paul Zastoupil's pocket!) maintaining central rating info
may be feasible.

> How smart can we make the server? Can we make the server responsive, say,
> to Tcl/Tk calls?

I am not exactly sure what you intend to do.  There have been several
implementations of a GUI interface to the server (one of the Frequently
Requested Features) but it shouldn't be implemented at the expense of the
command line interface.  As far as I can see, the best approach is to
either completely rewrite some of the main civserver code (the approach
taken by Joe Pranevich, see

  http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-199907/msg00300.html

) or have a separate app that parses regular civserver output and speaks
civserver commands.  The advantage of this latter approach is that it
could be integrated with a client.  This could also be done using your idea.

--
Reinier Post