Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Wishlist

To: FreeCiv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Wishlist
From: jesdynf <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:44:02 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

It might be nice if we could find someway to authenticate clients -- just
to provide a good sense of who's who. Maybe a space to put the PGP
fingerprint in .freecivrc -- do we even HAVE a .freecivrc? Maybe be able
to send the server a private-key signed message saying you are who you
assert you are...?

I'm just thinking of structured tournaments, sort of -- say, take the top
three scorers of a six-person game and advance them up to the next game.
You'd really want to be able to properly ID the players if you were
running that...

How smart can we make the server? Can we make the server responsive, say,
to Tcl/Tk calls? There's a program here -- MegaHAL, a conversational "AI"
you can find in Debian -- that can be made to link with Tcl/Tk so it can
be controlled by, say an Eggdrop, and thus from IRC. It -looks- simple,
but I don't understand where the hooks are.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, quite -- I'm just wondering what can be
done to make the server scriptable and controllable from outside itself.
With an ID method in place, you could advertise weekly automated
tournaments, with X-hour limited games for the first few rounds...

Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>