Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUG REPORT

To: Egbert Hinzen <egbert@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, FreeCiv Developer <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUG REPORT
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:06:23 -0500

Egbert Hinzen (egbert@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> "Egbert now governs the Germans as a Monarchy."
>                                      ^^^^^^^^
> Should it be: "Egbert now governs the Germans as King."?

That's a better phrasing, but it omits the name of the government, which
may be confusing to some players.  How about this:

  "Emperor Egbert now rules the Despotism of Germany." (or Empress)
  "King Egbert now rules the Monarchy of Germany." (or Queen)
  "Comrade Egbert now rules the Communism of Germany." (this is a bit awkward)
  "Consul Egbert now rules the Republic of Germany."
  "President Egbert now rules the Democracy of Germany."

If we want to get fancier, it may be necessary to add a new field to
the governments ruleset, with a term which describes a nation under
each government type.  E.g., for the government form of Monarchy,
the appropriate term would generally be "Kingdom"; Communism might use
"People's Republic", etc.  Then we could use this:

  "Comrade Egbert now rules the People's Republic of Germany."

The disadvantages of this approach: it's more complex (but not by a lot),
and it still omits the name of the government, so people who aren't
fluent with the language may get a little confused at first.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers