Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: helicopters and Sea units

To: jlrice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: helicopters and Sea units
From: Aasmund Midttun Godal <aasmundg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:48:09 +0200 (MET DST)

> > you wouldn't want a helicopter on a destroyer (destroyers are usually
> > either used to hunt down transports or reconnaissance).
>
> Real life scenario:
> Helicopters primary role is anti submarine.  They extend the range of the the
> destryers abillitey to fight submarines
> IE: Helicopters can sweep areas for subs around the destroyers.
hmm, I think if we want to create an anti submarine tactic we would need a
new "auto" function, maybe destroyers should be able to be put on
auto-sub, which would hunt down submarines in a given area (on the other
hand this would make the game more complicated, and could be implemented
if scripting was made possible.
> > hmm, a poisonous weapon w/AEGIS cruisers...
> Not quite sure what that mean, but anyways an extention of the above.
I mean: very good weapon.
> > > battleship             3
> > That would seriously manifest battleships to a "super-unit" have a dozen
> > battleships with helicopters and you can take any city, anytime.
> A very good point.  This all depends on the definition of a battleship.
I believe the battleship was modelled on frigates (modern ones).
A single unit in civ, must represent a batallion (group) of units to make
sense, especially if you look at the population numbers and a single unit
being able to kill 20K or more people per attack in a city.
> 1.  A single capital ship
> 2.  A group of capital ships
> 3.  A group of capital ships and all support vessels(escorts/oilers and such)
I think the units are thought to be uniform within a type, however you
obviously have some minions to take care of the logistics.
> I have to go with the last option, Battleship mainfire would be useless
> against subs for instance
Batlleships are a lot more powerfull than subs, they have 10 more
hitpoints & 2 more attack strength which means you need 2-3 vet. subs to
take out a batlleship.
> > Too good to my taste.
> This all came about when trying to move helicopters around on the board and to
> create marine combined forces (a helicopter and a marine unit) much like
> what exists in real world.
>
> Joe

Aasmund Midttun Godal

aasmund@xxxxxxxxx - http://www.godal.com/
+47 93 65 98 50 - Pb. 48 Blindern N-0313 Oslo