Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: helicopters and Sea units

To: me <jlrice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: helicopters and Sea units
From: Aasmund Midttun Godal <aasmundg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:32:17 +0200

> Allowing Helocopters to fly from and land on Sea units would simulate
> real world conditions.  Or atleast allwing the option for it.  I was
> thinking along the follwing lines:
This is an interesting idea, however, helicopters are not very usefull,
except perhaps, to take out weak opponents. The reason for this is it's
high cost, low movement, and bad defense.

If one were to change the helicopter idea, I would make it a
"carrier" unit that could carry any "man" unit. e.g. riflemen,
alpine-troups, partisans, spies etc. over both land and sea, this would
make it an efficient tool to launch assaults on inland cities etc. I also
think you either have to do something about the range or the defense or
the cost (yes, I know "just change the ruleset" but, well, I can, but then
nobody else will play with my rules etc., etc., and I regard this to be a
general problem with helicopters.

> unit                #helicopters carriable
> -------------------------
> destroyer              1
you wouldn't want a helicopter on a destroyer (destroyers are usually
either used to hunt down transports or reconnaissance).
> cruiser                  2
hmm, a poisonous weapon w/AEGIS cruisers...
> battleship             3
That would seriously manifest battleships to a "super-unit" have a dozen
battleships with helicopters and you can take any city, anytime.

Too good to my taste.
> transport              (might want to limit this one here, otherwise you
> could end up with transports replacing carriers.  As the game stands it
> become very hard to move helicopters over great  distances and
> transports coul alleviate this.  In reality helicopter carriers
> accompany marine units where ever they go and even fly off the decks of
> some of their transport units to support a landing)
>
> Joe

Aasmund Midttun Godal

aasmund@xxxxxxxxx - http://www.godal.com/
+47 93 65 98 50 - Pb. 48 Blindern N-0313 Oslo