Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: helicopters and Sea units

To: Aasmund Midttun Godal <aasmundg@xxxxxxxxxx>, me <jlrice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: helicopters and Sea units
From: Me <jlrice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:25:28 +0000

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Aasmund Midttun Godal wrote:
> This is an interesting idea, however, helicopters are not very usefull,
> except perhaps, to take out weak opponents. The reason for this is it's
> high cost, low movement, and bad defense.
>
> If one were to change the helicopter idea, I would make it a
> "carrier" unit that could carry any "man" unit. e.g. riflemen,
> alpine-troups, partisans, spies etc. over both land and sea, this would
> make it an efficient tool to launch assaults on inland cities etc. I also
> think you either have to do something about the range or the defense or
> the cost (yes, I know "just change the ruleset" but, well, I can, but then
> nobody else will play with my rules etc., etc., and I regard this to be a
> general problem with helicopters.
IMHO, all you would need to do is create a aircav/airmobile unit(much like the
paratroopers unit) that becomes available when helicopters do.  It would have
all the abillites you defined?

> > unit                #helicopters carriable
> > -------------------------
> > destroyer              1
> you wouldn't want a helicopter on a destroyer (destroyers are usually
> either used to hunt down transports or reconnaissance).

Real life scenario:
Helicopters primary role is anti submarine.  They extend the range of the the
destryers abillitey to fight submarines
IE: Helicopters can sweep areas for subs around the destroyers.

> > cruiser                  2
> hmm, a poisonous weapon w/AEGIS cruisers...
Not quite sure what that mean, but anyways an extention of the above.

> > battleship             3
> That would seriously manifest battleships to a "super-unit" have a dozen
> battleships with helicopters and you can take any city, anytime.
A very good point.  This all depends on the definition of a battleship.
1.  A single capital ship
2.  A group of capital ships
3.  A group of capital ships and all support vessels(escorts/oilers and such)
I have to go with the last option, Battleship mainfire would be useless against
subs for instance

> Too good to my taste.

This all came about when trying to move helicopters around on the board and to
create marine combined forces (a helicopter and a marine unit) much like
what exists in real world.

Joe