Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] dwp: Changed terrain special named "Gam

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] dwp: Changed terrain special named "Game" to "Game A...
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:57:01 +0100

Lalo Martins wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 01:49:59PM +1000, David Pfitzner wrote:
> >
> > My understanding of "Game" in this context is that it could
> > mean that there are a number/variety of animal species there
> > which can be hunted for food, so picking one animal would miss
> > that aspect.  Not that its a big issue though...
>
> Hmm no, actually "Game" is a specific animal in the same family
> as the Deer. The Deer is the American variant of the family,
> the Game happens in Europe, there is a variant that happens in
> Africa (I don't remember the English word); the Deer has huge,
> robust horns with a distinctive shape, while the Game has horns
> shaped like a dead tree (with branches but no leaves). If my
> boss was around he could give me the German words.

There may be a specific species of deer/antelope simply called 'game',
but 'game' is certainly a general word for hunted animals (possibly for
food, not necessarily) as opposed to raised and herded food.

For example, buffalo, elephant and rhino are all game as well (although
the latter two don't taste very nice). Lions and tigers are game, if
they're being hunted.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |