Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: release plans

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: release plans
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:29:24 +0200

David Pfitzner wrote:

> You can already do this to some extent by adding non-required
> tags to the capability string, and checking has_capability().
> So I don't see a huge advantage to "optional packets".

Yes, it is quite similar indeed - 'optional packet' id name could be put
into capability string or packet header as well. But the problem is with
packet id enum. You cannot have patch adding a bit of optional
functionality to server/client - because it will break packets ids with
greater numbers. I understand that for now all change hit cvs, but at
some point somebody may like to put some unofficial patches to
server/client. With just capability string he breaks enum ordering - and
server could not work with both patched and non-patched clients.

> But also: have you designed, implemented, tested, and debugged
> code for optional packets?  Otherwise its getting a bit late
> to go into 1.9.0 even if it would be desirable.
No, I haven't. So I guess it is out of question for 1.9.0.

Artur