Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI players

Cc: puke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI players
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:09:40 +0100

Reinier Post wrote:

> > Why are the AI players so damn good on easy?
>
> Hm ... a FAQ.  Not sure what to answer.  Try 'set generator 2',
> or 3, or 4, before you start the game.  Read the www.freeciv.org tutorials.
> If anyone has some unmentioned suggestions, please post them here.

The trick, basically, is to expand incredibly fast.  Put *all* your
energy into expanding to start with (build only settlers, but them when
you can), and you'll be in a better position when they meet.  It's an
unrelaxing style of play.

I suppose we need to have another go at making the difficulty level
'easy' easier - we tried for 1.8.0 (in response to my complaint, when I
first starting playting :)

As an aside, I wonder how we could gently rebalance the game so that
breakneck expansion isn't the only way to win... it would be nice if
there were more varities of strategies...

Jules