Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI players

To: jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: puke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI players
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 22:18:28 +0200

> The trick, basically, is to expand incredibly fast.

Yes.  This is well explained on www.freeciv.org.  Greg Wooledge
thinks that fighting early can be worthwhile:

> I suppose we need to have another go at making the difficulty level
> 'easy' easier - we tried for 1.8.0 (in response to my complaint, when I
> first starting playing :)

I saw a patch by Brunus on the mailing list to make easy the AI players
expand slower, and it seems to be part of the 1.8.1 code.

Lalo Martins suggested a 'tutoring' AI, this would be interesting as a
student project I suppose:

> As an aside, I wonder how we could gently rebalance the game so that
> breakneck expansion isn't the only way to win... it would be nice if
> there were more varities of strategies...

You wrote this earlier:

and  Nicolas Brunel responded by posting a patch by Brunus that made
easy AI expand slower.  It seems to be part of the 1.8.1 code.

An important check on post-Monarchy governments is missing in Freeciv:
the inability for Republic and higher to declare war at will

Another aside: whatever happened to Rizos's patch to make the AI
use Democracy and Communism?: