Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Borders

To: "'Ed Cogburn'" <ecogburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Borders
From: "Todd Goodman" <tsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:22:16 -0400

[SNIP]
> > As in, a few border guards and road signs there.  So there can be no
> > doubt when you've crossed one.
>

>       Not in SMAC (Alpha Centauri).  In that game the border is a
> neutral gray hash mark overlaid between the edges of the squares.
> Its not a 'physical' object.
>       There is no warning given when you cross the border, at least, I
> haven't seen a warning pop up, but I haven't played SMAC that
> much.  In my last SMAC game that I still have a backup for, I
> checked at a very tight border between two cities only 2 squares
> away from one another.  No warning when I moved a unit across the
> border and adjacent to the other faction's city.  I also routinely
> overflew that border area with air units during that game.
> Either the border idea isn't supported by SMAC in a sophisticated
> way, or the AI is more sophisticated in SMAC from the earlier
> games.  The AI for this faction may simply have chosen not to
> object because it was grossly outmatched by my faction at this
> point.  In fact, the AI never violated the border the way I did
> with air units; compare *that* with AI behavior in Civ1.  :-)

The objection depends upon your diplomatic status and the AI "personality"
(including your past actions towards the AI, I believe).

Borders in SMAC are real fluid things that makes them pretty interesting.
They seem to be quite large if no other civ is close by, but can shrink down
to the usual city radius.

It can lead to "land rushes" where cities get plopped on the borders to
increase your own territory.

It's nice to be able to tell someone to leave your land too.

Todd

P.S. - My apologies if the attribution above is screwed up.

[SNIP]