Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Borders

To: Martin Willemoes Hansen <mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thue janus Kristensen <thue.kristensen@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Borders
From: Mika Korhonen <mikak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:38:24 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

>>         I'm not sure what stronger concept of borders makes sense.  If
>> you're not using the land, why do you care if they build there?  If you do
>> care, then go kill their settlers.  Demilitarized zones, leapfrog
>> development with defensive units involved, and puffed-chest diplomatic
>> posturing are what the game's all about.  What real benefit do borders
>> give?
>
>If you wan't to build on the land or just wan't to have it so the other
>player can't build on it :) .. Of course if he want's the land he can
>declare war on you or make a deal. And visual borders would make it very
>obvious to know which lands are yours which aren't and which are no-mans
>land.

And in any case that could be made a server option :) What about cases
where a player does not know about the existence of a nation? Should the
borders be seen in that case? I.e. are the borders supposed to be physical
(DO NOT ENTER THE BORDER ZONE) or logical (you just have to know) that are
only seen on the screen but not in real world if you get me.

        Mika
An honest tale speeds best being plainly told.
                -- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"