Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch

To: Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Races ruleset - patch
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 08:44:56 -0700

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> > But the point in freeciv is that the Germans did not "settle" Prague.
>
>         There is no distinction between a city that was built by one of
> your settlers, and a city you conquered from some other nation.
> AFAIK, none of the Civ games make such a distinction.  In freeciv
> terms, Prague was conquered in 1939 by Nazi Germany just before
> WW2 started.  For a WW2 scenario, Nazi Germany would start the
> game controlling Prague.
>         Also, when you say German in this context, I'm talking about a
> historical nation set covering WW2, so I'm talking about Nazi
> Germany.  Obviously, the modern Germany nation set wouldn't
> include Prague.

Actually there is a distinction.  That is why you can liberate cities.
It also comes into play when you have partisans.

> > So it shouldn't be a part of the German city names.
>
>         Not part of the modern Germany nation set's cities, right.  I was
> referring to a hypothetical 'historical' WW2 nation set which
> included Nazi Germany, USSR, US, England, etc, used for a WW2
> scenario (civ2 has this).

Well you have a point here.  But most of this discussion isn't really
that important.

Take for example the "American" cities. Most are messed up.  New York
(once New Amersterdam) should be Dutch.  Boston should be English, Los
Angeles and San Diego, Spanish etc.

--
Paul Zastoupil