Re: [Freeciv-Dev] A few ideas.

To: Claus Leth Gregersen <leth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] A few ideas.
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:30:21 +0100

Claus Leth Gregersen wrote:

> Borders:
>
> Alpha Centauri got one nice feature and that is borders around your empire.
> It's like 6-7 squares radius away from your closest city.
> The reason there is borders is that when you have a treaty with another
> nation, you're not allowed
> to cross the border with units, without cancelling the treaty (except when
> you're in an alliance).
> That makes the diplomacy effort more valuable, and the information could
> also give a helping hand to the AI. The code for this is  just an extra
> information on each tile, and is pretty trivial and very fast to maintain
> (update the ownership on surrounding tiles whenever a city is created).
> Will require some extra communication to the client as this information
> needs to be transferred to the client for it to be able to draw the border.
> Another bonus would be that the size of the empires could be measured.

I'd like to see borders, actually.  It would be nice, even if it was
mainly cosmetic sugar.

I imagine an algorithm something like this:

Any square farmed by a city is your territory.
Any square which could be farmed by your city (i.e. not farmed by
another city) is your territory.
For other squares, count the number of cities of each nation within 5
squares of it.  Award the square to the civilisation with the highest
count.  This will fill in some of the gaps left by the above method.

Jules