[Freeciv-Dev] relative techspeed (was: A few ideas.)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] relative techspeed (was: A few ideas.)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 00:25:56 +0200

Claus Leth Gregersen wrote:

> > In civ 2 you are punished on your researchspeed if you have more techs than
> > the other players.
> > Earlier i thought this as a crappy excuse to help the AI against good
> > players.
> > Now i changed my mind and think it would be a nice feature for game balance,
> > But i would rather prefer to reverse the effect, and make it cheaper to
> > research tech that has already been invented by someone else.

Seems like a good candidate for a server setting, 'techrelrate'.
But how does it work in Civ II, is the speed proportional to the # of techs
you are ahead, or to the % of techs you are ahead?  Suppose A has 1 tech,
B has 2, and C 3; what happens when B discovers a tech, will A's
speed to the next tech be affected, or only B's and C's?

--
Reinier