Re: [Freeciv-Dev] more realistic railroads

To: Bernhard März <maerz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] more realistic railroads
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen <mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:59:09 +0000

> 1. Railroads are not simulated very realistic, I think (I know, that
> Microprose has used it in the same way).
> In Freeciv, Railroads are build around the cities, to earn more
> productionpoints. But railroad around cities, I think it's not realistic.
>
> My idea is better to rename railroads into trams and then use trams in
> exact the same way as railroads were used now. Furthermore, there could
> be busroads. I belive trams were earlier used (and the building of the
> lines need much time), later in time buslines were prefered (only need to
> build bus-stations, when the roads are allready there - it's faster to build).

Well ill just go for the roads .. the other things would require a
freeciv mode .. for civ II compliance.

> Then we could realize railroads more realistic. Terrain with railroads must
> not earn extra things in the cities (so no one build it around cities, like
> before).

Yes, I  think thats a good idea.

> Railroads should build only between cities (maybee between own cities and
> cities of other players, too). Then there could be train-units (different
> types
> depending on time of year), which will be able to transfer other units
> (like military) very fast from one city to an other city (to the front of
> war).

Hmm it will be a lot of micromanagement .. Ill go for no new unit for
that purpose.

> Furthermore, I think it could be able not only to transfer units, but also
> transfer products (at least food and production; people too).
> So if one citiy is build a world wonder, I think in real live it's normal
> that other cities help building it. The people around such a city are going
> to work there. And products (like wood, iron, ...) are moved in that city from
> other cities by train.

Yes, that would be nice. Tho again a freeciv mode would be prefrerable.

> What do you think about that idea?
> (Really, I think railroads in freeciv are not realistic at this time.)

Yes I would like to see that it is only good to have railroads between
cities. Tho I think its unreal that one can have free travel on the
lines .. 20 tiles a time would be okay. Like I can travel totally fast
with railroads, but my ships and plains can't.

> 2. There exist the command "Go To" for units.
> How about the commands:
>         "Build Road to" and "Build Railroad to"?
> (I think, you know what I mean)

That would be GREAT. I don't see why we can't implement this one.

--
Best regards

Martin Willemoes Hansen

E-Mail  mwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
IRC     MWH/DR_NICK ; ircnet, openprojects
ICQ     11597690