Re: [Freeciv-Dev] omissions in terrain ruleset implementation (PR#75)

To: jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] omissions in terrain ruleset implementation (PR#75)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:25:31 +1000 (EST)

Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> I missed a couple of things concerning Civ2 rivers when I implemented the
> terrain ruleset.  Units get a movement bonus when moving along Civ2 rivers,
> but not Civ1 rivers.

Actually, I was planning to have a 'rivermove' server option
to control the river moment bonus.  (Eg, this would allow the
'classic' terrain with the current river effect.)

Eg, rivermove coud take values:
  0 = no movement bonus for rivers (matches Civ1)
  1 = 1/3 move, but only when moving exactly _along_ rivers: diagonal
      moves incur full terrain movement costs (matches Civ2)
  2 = 1/3 move directly along river, 2/3 for diagonals (some people
      wanted this; its effectively similar to below as if you had
      done the two moves, except differences for ZOC etc)
  3 = 1/3 move, any river to river including diagonals (classic freeciv)

Or maybe this could go in the ruleset file; a server option
would be a bit more flexible, but I guess it depends if people
are really likely the change the server option or not...
Probably not, so putting it in the ruleset file may be best.

Regards,
-- David