Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ 2 map tile format

Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ 2 map tile format
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:13:55 +0200

Andy Black wrote:

> At 11:46 AM +0200 7/20/99, Peter Schaefer wrote:
> >Andy Black wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I've been looking through the image files used in civ 2.
> >>
> >> file: terain 1
> >> basic terain tiles
> >
> >> file: terain 2
> >> directional tiles
> >
> >> total full sized tiles used by civ 2 for maps: 46 for terain 1, 76 for
> >> terain 2, 122 total (reduced to min num of tiles needed)
> >>
> >> BTW: the freeciv total is around 190.
> >>
> >> Andy Black
> >
> >Question:
> >How are border transitions handled ?
> >Is it like this: 1st tile that is all plains and
> >2nd tile that is plains with borders on each side ?
> >So that the special tiles are constructed from quarters
> >of both tiles ? (Which seems straightforward when using diamond shaped
> >tiles).
>
> This example might help.  I tried to place it on a square grid insted of a
> diamond grid, but the method would be similar.  P tile are plains, G tiles
> are graslands. Tiles noted as P* and G* are transition tiles.  transition
> tile use the dither mask to mask out the square the terain is in.  black
> points on the dither mask use the tile on the other side of the boarder
> insted of the tile they are in.  For the square grid, diagonal sections of
> the mask woud be used.
>
> P       P*      P*      P*      P
> P*      G*      G*      G*      P*
> P*      G*      G       G*      P*
> P*      G*      G*      G*      P*
> P       P*      P*      P*      P
>
> Did that help any?  Or did I just confuse everyone more?
>
> Andy Black

No, I think I got it. And with the diamond-like scheme you need
only 4 transition tiles a,b,c,d like this:
 bbbbb
a bbb c
aa b cc
aaa ccc
aa d cc
a ddd c
 ddddd

To get a left upper transition tile you would take tiles a,b and
the lower right of a grassland tile.

--
Peter Schäfer - mailto:schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx
Support the Campaign to Save Iridium Telecom -