Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ 2 map tile format

Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ 2 map tile format
From: Andy Black <ablack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:06:48 -0600

At 11:46 AM +0200 7/20/99, Peter Schaefer wrote:
>Andy Black wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been looking through the image files used in civ 2.
>>
>> file: terain 1
>> basic terain tiles
>
>> file: terain 2
>> directional tiles
>
>> total full sized tiles used by civ 2 for maps: 46 for terain 1, 76 for
>> terain 2, 122 total (reduced to min num of tiles needed)
>>
>> BTW: the freeciv total is around 190.
>>
>> Andy Black
>
>Question:
>How are border transitions handled ?
>Is it like this: 1st tile that is all plains and
>2nd tile that is plains with borders on each side ?
>So that the special tiles are constructed from quarters
>of both tiles ? (Which seems straightforward when using diamond shaped tiles).

This example might help.  I tried to place it on a square grid insted of a
diamond grid, but the method would be similar.  P tile are plains, G tiles
are graslands. Tiles noted as P* and G* are transition tiles.  transition
tile use the dither mask to mask out the square the terain is in.  black
points on the dither mask use the tile on the other side of the boarder
insted of the tile they are in.  For the square grid, diagonal sections of
the mask woud be used.

P       P*      P*      P*      P
P*      G*      G*      G*      P*
P*      G*      G       G*      P*
P*      G*      G*      G*      P*
P       P*      P*      P*      P

Did that help any?  Or did I just confuse everyone more?

Andy Black