[Freeciv-Dev] Civ 2 map tile format

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Civ 2 map tile format
From: Andy Black <ablack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:42:46 -0600

Hi

I've been looking through the image files used in civ 2.

file: terain 1
basic terain tiles
2 base tiles for desert, grasslands, jungle
1 base tile for plains, tundra, ice, swamps, ocean
2 base fillers for the forest, hills and mountains (all the base fillers
appear to be the same)
special overlays for all (1 for grasslands, 2 for others)
hut overlay
irrigation overlay
farming overlay
mining overlay
pollution overlay
unconected road, rail
road,rail extending from center in each direction (total: 16 (8 road, 8 rail))
1 dither tile.  <comentary> I belive this tile is used as a mask for
boarders betwene land types</comentary>
this file also contains other random? drawings

file: terain 2
16 directional tiles each for rivers, forest, mountains, hills
        (2^4=16) possible conections on sides, ignoring diagonals (rangeing
from no conections to conections on all 4 sides)
        <comentary> It is possibly easier this way.  If diagonals weren't
ignored, 2^8 or 256 tiles would be needed.</comentary>
4 river mouths (used on coastline)
8*4 border (1/4 sized) coastline tiles (coastline tiles are composed from
those tiles)

total full sized tiles used by civ 2 for maps: 46 for terain 1, 76 for
terain 2, 122 total (reduced to min num of tiles needed)

BTW: the freeciv total is around 190.

Andy Black