Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patches

To: rp@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patches
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:58:31 +1000 (EST)

Reinier Post wrote:

> > It mostly just requires people to submit patches (or eg URLs, for
> > large stuff) to the bug system by default instead of freeciv-dev.
>
> So now I'm trying to figure out how.  All I see is an form for guests
> to submit bug reports.  How do I submit a patch?

Heh.  The autoreply when you submit a bug includes the info:

: You can send in new bugs in two ways:
: Point your browser to: http://www.freeciv.org/cgi-bin/bugs
: or send an email to: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I guess the second point should appear on the bug submission page
and perhaps elsewhere too.  Also somewhere it should say that
followups can be made by sending email to that same address
and including the appropriate PR# identifier (eg "(PR#1)")
in the subject line.

> > And I guess for us to publicise this as expected/required behaviour.
>
> Yes, http://www.freeciv.org/contribute.html is a good guide to making
> patches, and to some of the code, but it doesn't explain the policies
> of contributing.

Yeah, that aspect should be improved.

> > Hmm, would it help (publicity-wise etc) if we had a _second_
> > Jitterbug instance, eg called the Freeciv Patch Tracking System,
> > with email submissions to <patches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, a different
> > identifier then PR#, etc?  That would be easy to setup.
>
> This answers my first question, I suppose.
> It seems the logical thing to do.
>
> > The main disadvantge would be that we couldn't move messages
> > between the two systems easily, but maybe thats not likely
> > to be wanted much anyway.
>
> Um, it may be possible to share messages between the systems,
> depending on how the bookkeeping is done.

Yeah, and depending on how much you want to hack Jitterbug,
and mess with its internal bookkeeping...

-- David