Re: [Freeciv-Dev] put trident tiles in dist?

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] put trident tiles in dist?
From: Mika Korhonen <mikak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:55:59 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

>Tony Stuckey wrote:

>> > Have you tryed the latest with +15 % free extra brigthness ?
>>
>>      I just tried a game with the 1.2 version that David included in
>> current CVS, and I have to agree with the original author.  The Trident
>> tiles are quite dark.
>
>Yes, the ones in CVS are the +15% brighter ones, but they do
>still look quite dark to me.  I had to check closely to notice
>any brightness difference compared to before.
>
>-- David

I'd propose gamma correction (say 1.5) instead of adding that so-called
brightness. Adding brightness (i.e. in the sense of most image manipulation
software) tends to make black grey which rarely is wanted. So give gamma to
the original ones!

Of course this is display-dependent but in case the tiles show too dark on
most displays one should consider gamma correction. (Those having brighter
screens can always dim them.. especially as most people have their displays
set wrong to have too much contrast and brightness to strain their poor
eyes and eventually get eyeglasses :)

I've seen some games that cannot be played too well because of their
darkness (have to set display to maximum values back-and-forth). Some games
seem to have control for this (Quake/Doom?) and some X servers allow to set
gamma values but unfortunately this is not the case in general.

This was said even though I did not see the tiles themselves yet :)

        Mika
No matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for
signs of improvement.
                -- Florida Scott-Maxwell