[Freeciv-Dev] put trident tiles in dist?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] put trident tiles in dist?
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 23:23:48 +1000 (EST)

Hi all,

It has been suggested to me that we could replaced the
classic tiles by the trident tiles for the 1.8.1 release.
I tend to agree.  Would anyone object?

Recall that the reason for having two tilesets in the
distribution is to include both a large set and a smaller set.
(The latter especially necessary for those with small screens.)

Previously a reason for keeping the classic (or brunus-improved)
set was for the benefit of those who are used to the classic
ones.  But since they classic/brunus tiles will still be
available separately (on the ftp site), and you can now just
put them in ~/.freeciv, I'm not sure this is a good reason.

Of course the reason to include the trident set is that they
look so nice :-)

(And the reason not to include them all is to not make
the basic distribution too large, though it is arguable
how important this is.  Ballpark sizes: about extra 50 kB
to tar.gz for typical 30x30 set, I think.  Much more for
a 45x45 set.  Also, if we start including more than 2 sets,
then what if people keep submitting more different sets?)

(One thing with the trident tiles is that there is sort of
policy to keep the flags consistent, so I would probably
swap the Russian/Soviet flags to match the default.  But
actually I'd probably leave the new Mongol flag, since its
nicer (and distinctive) and I'd prefer the default etc tiles
change to match it instead :-)

Another option would be to keep extra tiles (eg classic/brunus)
in CVS, but not in the relase distribution (and also on ftp).
That would increase the size for people doing cvs checkouts,
and of the cvs snapshots...

Comments?

Regards,
-- David