Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Code testing

To: sune@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Code testing
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:59:33 +1000

Sune Kirkeby wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a collection of save-games,
> that cover most aspects of the gameplay that come into
> action during a "normal" game?

Not that I know of, though I have a private collection of
savegames at various stages.  Not well organised though.

> I was specifically looking for some way to test the
> code that I change.  For this a standard collection of
> savegames might come in handy.

For some changes I find "all-AI" games useful for regression
testing, though of course this only tests things the AI does,
and doesn't test clients properly, etc etc.

(Briefly: setup and start a game normally, eg with one human
player and aifill; start; change the human to AI; save; quit.
Restart the server with the savegame; connect a client but then
ignore the client window; set a small timeout; leave for a while.
Save the output savefiles somewhere.  Restart from the original
savefile with a changed version and compare the output savefiles.
Or run two versions concurrently with different ports and
directories.)

Strict long-term regression testing is hampered by the fact
that occasionally we change the rules of the game.  Or adding
an extra rand() call somewhere will change combat results,
fuzzy AI decisions etc.

-- David