Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv suggestions

To: Michael Robert Thomson <robertt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv suggestions
From: Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 18:42:49 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Michael Robert Thomson wrote:

> Not really new suggestions, just modifications.
>
> Currently cities are too easy to buy. Especially near the capital,
> cities not suffering from Civil disorder/unhappy people
> should cost a lot more.  Obviously remote cities would be more
> susceptible to revolt, but cities within a few squares of
> the capital should be very expensive indeed.
The amount you have to pay is multiplied by (gold/1000+1).
The richer you are the more difficult your towns are to buy.

> Also military units should be able to move off a ship directly into an
> empty city. Why wouldn't they be able to in real life?
> One way to do this would be to let any military unit attack a city
> directly from boats, but to signify their vulnerability in landing,
> non-marines could have their attack values reduced to 1 for the move.
> Thus attacking a defended city with catapults from a
> boat would be possible, but stupid.

See server/unittools.c beginning at function is_my_zoc. ( around line 160)
I'd prefer also that empty city can be taken over by ground unit in a
transport and not only marines.

> And maybe some of the less popular wonders should be enhanced a bit,
> e.g. by having their duration extended.
> Currently the Hanging Gardens, King Richards Crusade, the Oracle and
> possibly the Great Wall all seem a lot weaker
> than the other wonders.

Try to modify data/building.ruleset to find a setting which suits you.

 Some of the weaker wonders from Civ I were
> modified for Civ II because they proved unworth-while.
> And how about implementing Marco Polo's embassy?

It's in the developpement version.

Best regards,