Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [freeciv-dev] Apparent bugs in recent CVS.

Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [freeciv-dev] Apparent bugs in recent CVS.
From: Patrick Smith <patsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:13:02 +0000

> > > I've noticed the same thing with the GTK client.  (I don't remember
> > > ever seeing this happen with the Xaw client.)
>
> That's because you probably have left selected the chat entry widget (see
> if the chat entry widget has a thin black line around it or something like
> that) when you typed something on it last time, or clicked on it.  While
> the chat entry widget is left selected all keyboard input is directed to
> it (otherwise you couldn't ever write anything in it could you?)
> you probably have numlock off or something

Thanks for the hint.  Setting numlock on does seem to avoid the problem.

I'd suggest that the GTK client should display a promininent warning
when
it starts up, to the effect that you should have numlock on.  It's
entirely
non-obvious (at least to me), and the effects of running with numlock
off
are quite annoying.  Eg., you want to move a unit two spaces, so you
press
arrow keys on the numeric keypad twice.  The first time, the unit moves
as
expected.  The second time, nothing happens!

Pat
--
patsmith@xxxxxxxxx