Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some experiences

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some experiences
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 16:32:53 -0500

Tony Stuckey (stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>       This depends on what rules you're playing under.
>       In Civ1, City Walls had like 3 upkeep.  They were horribly
> expensive, so you *didn't* want to build them unless you were directly in
> the path of an attack.

The upkeep was 2, if I'm not mistaken.  Only the rich could afford
walls. ;-)

>       In Civ2, City Walls have a much more sane upkeep, and you generally
> do want to build them, although maybe not early in the game.

The walls in Civ2/Freeciv have an upkeep cost of 0.  Once built,
they're free.  Whether you want to invest 80 production shields into
building City Walls in the first place will depend on many factors,
but the biggest is whether the city in question is close to an enemy.
(In Civ2, "an enemy" includes anywhere barbarians are likely to appear.)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.