Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some experiences

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Some experiences
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:15:59 +0200

  Manuel,

Let me add my own experiences to yours.

> I've been playing at freeciv during several hours. And these
> are things I've noticed:
>
> - Version 1.8 is fully stable.

Yesterday, I was in a game with the Mar 24 version.
We had 11 AI players in this game.

At and point, one of my cities 'was captured by the Russians' without
any attacking Russians in view.  It then continued to be mine, but with
size 0.  I could still open it, but it didn't do anything until I
disbanded a settler inside it, many turns later.  Attached are a
screenshot and two savefiles; after.sav was made at the moment the
screenshot was made, and it doesn't contain the city.

> - AI (hard) is beatable, only you have to put it into pressure as soon
> as possible, in despotism and letting it few air to breath.

I agree, the only thing it does well is expansion; see the tutorials
section on www.freeciv.org, when the site is restored to good health.
It has a report on AI weaknesses.

> - In http://www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina/civgame1938.sav and ... 1929.sav
> there two games, 60 million strong empire. Perhaps it may be useful
> for you for testing purposes.

It would be nice to have many savefiles on www.freeciv.org,
to demonstrate or test specific features.

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx