Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Additional metaserver?

To: brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Nicolas Brunel)
Cc: lancelot@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Additional metaserver?
From: Peter Dam Mains <lancelot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:02:41 +0100 (MET)

> Here a choice has to be done,
>
>       for the time being lots of distributions will have a version
> older than 1.8.0. I'd like them to be abble to use the metaserver.
> For the release of 1.8.0, we need a metaserver. We can't test the
> 1.8.0pre2 in network game. That's bad karma. The aim of having
> 2 metaservers was if a civserver doesn't receive info from a metaserver
> it can switch to another metaserver. It's why i like the 768 or 1024
> packet size solution. I'd like that a solution is found quite fast.
> We need to be abble to use a metaserver for 1.8.0.
>
>       Can someone look into the code and see what can be done ?

I'll have it worked out in a couple of days, if no one else complains,
we'll stick to the fixed 1024byte packets, only a small change to
meta.c is needed. 1024 bytes is next to nothing, and it doesn't
send often, so networkload shouldn't play a part here.
In one of the coming versions, we should change the way the freeciv-servers
contacts the metaserver, so it's done by contacting a port on the metaserver
instead of reading a www-page.

Paul Zastoupil has offered to run metaserver #2, and it seems he has a
good site for it, so I suggest we just choose that, and we could get
the second metaserver running soon.

/Peter Dam Mains