RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Settlers can mine and irrigate ...

To: "'Peter Schaefer'" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Settlers can mine and irrigate ...
From: "Todd Goodman" <tsg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:05:35 -0500

Yes, or add a danger rating for each square.  If a cruiser or
battleship is in range, then shore squares would receive a
higher danger rating (and be less likely to be worked).  Maybe
a ship that has attacked a unit on shore and is undamaged and
in range really bumps the danger rating of the square enough to
force the settler to give up working the square and moving inland.

Working the coast first sounds reasonable.

> >I think the cheat had to do with activating the settler that
> was performing
> >the task and then setting it to the same task again.
>
> Remember how you could wake up an irrigating settlr and then
> make it go back
> irrigating without apparent loss of time ?

Sure.

> My statement is that the
> settlers inciv1 collected up the work they had performed
> in an internal accumulator.
> Which means IMHO that if you set them to a harder task,
> you could accomplish anything., even one or two turns later,
> on an easier task.

Yes, I agree with this.  My only claim is that the accumulator
for a square was cleared if you switched to a different task
(from irrigation to road building for example) or if your
settler left that square.

> Of course, that may have been a bug, but it seemed to me
> liuke it was intended.

I still think it was a bug (introduced when trying to make the
penalty for clicking a working settler go away), but I guess
we just disagree.

> (The accumulator was in the settler not the tile )

Interesting idea.  I don't think so though, because then you could work one
square with the settler for two of the three turns required for an
improvement and then move to another square and only take one turn to make
that improvement (without activating and reworking the settler).  I'm
pretty sure it didn't work that way (I'll have to find my original Civ disks
I guess).

Todd

> --
> Peter Schaefer