Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Engels tileset and flags

To: wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Engels tileset and flags
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:32:40 +1100

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> This is just a general comment about the flags and the Engels tileset.
>
> Sometimes it's really hard to determine which player a unit belongs to
> when using the Engels tileset.  Both the flag and the hit point indicator
> are in the upper-left corner of the tile; and the unit's picture also
> obscures the flag.  This makes it hard, in many cases, to tell what flag
> is being displayed.

Yes, I don't like the way the unit hitpoint bar obscures
the flags.

> The background color of all the units is black when using the Engels
> tileset.

Only if you have the client option "Flags are transparent"
set to "no".  For the Engels tiles the preferred value of this
option is "yes",  and then you get to see the terrain behind
the unit and things look much nicer.

(Transparent flags = "yes" is now the default, but if you already
have a .civclientrc you won't notice the new default.  Actually,
I think it would be better if this option were removed, and have
flags always treated as transparent, and alter the classic flags
to remove what transparency they do have.)

> It might be better if this black region were replaced with a
> solid color unique to each player.  (This could be done in addition to
> having the flag, right?)  That would make at-a-glance identification
> much easier.

You mean like what you get when you set the client option
"Solid unit background colour", but with the flag as well?
I guess that could be an option...

Or how about if we moved the hitpoint bar to lower left, and moved
the letters which go in lower left so they sit just above the new
hitpoint bar?  (Just for the Engels tiles; notice this can be done
just by modifying tiles.xpm, and not touching the code.)

Regards,
-- David