Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Call To Power on Linux !

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Call To Power on Linux !
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:41:48 -0500

Alexandre BERAUD (a_beraud@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On the Official Web Page of Civilization: Call To Power (Civ3), they
> say it will be ported to Linux quite at the same time as the Windows
> version.
> How should we welcome such a decision ?

I'm extremely pleased about the availability of this game on Linux.
I'll certainly be buying a copy.

> Do you think we have a chance against such a game ?

While all of the developers are busy playing CTP, there may be a slow-down
in Freeciv development....  But after a little while, some of the ideas
from CTP may find their way into Freeciv.  Once everyone's gotten used
to CTP, and partially lost interest, there will probably be another
increase in Freeciv development.

We aren't really competing with Activision/Loki or Microprose.
Freeciv isn't a commercial product, and it isn't intended to take any
of the Civilization games' market share.  In fact, I'd say there's a
nice, reciprocal relationship between the two -- I probably wouldn't
have bought Civ2 if it hadn't been for Freeciv, and my Civ2 experience
has been translated into Freeciv code, which has improved Freeciv.
(Granted, I bought Civ2 cheap since it's a few years old, so I don't
know how much profit Microprose saw from that transaction.)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.