Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Call To Power on Linux !

To: Alexandre BERAUD <a_beraud@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Call To Power on Linux !
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:22:37 -0600

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 02:04:34PM +0100, Alexandre BERAUD wrote:

> On the Official Web Page of Civilization: Call To Power (Civ3), they
> say it will be ported to Linux quite at the same time as the Windows
> version.
> How should we welcome such a decision ?

I would say that it's always good to see software appear for Linux, but it's
a pity that it will not be licensed in a sensible way, which will prevent it
from working on a good half-dozen or more Linux-supported platforms in
addition to other Free Unices such as OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  (natively
anyway)

> Do you think we have a chance against such a game ?

Certainly.  Linux has had a chance against Windows.  FreeCiv certainly has a
chance against a non-free program!

> Of course, I don't know how it will be distributed. Remenber Freeciv is
> ... FREE ! :o)

This is a key advantage, one which they can do nothing about unless they GPL
as well.  And if they do that, FreeCiv can just adopt code from there, and
still pull ahead :-)