Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Call To Power on Linux !

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Call To Power on Linux !
From: Matt Busigin <jediknight@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:59:17 -0500 (EST)

#I plan on buying all games with explicit out-of-the-box and/or marketed
#support for Linux that don't utterly suck or whatever (ie, I will play them
#at least twice).
#
#I'll continue to do this until 'all' software publishers are aware that
#there are other platforms to target, even if it's only one extra (Linux) -
#as this will likely encourage more code portability, and make any /other/
#ports a lot easier (and thus more likely).
#
#I think that, then, these games (almost all non-free I assume) will be the
#only non-free programs on my system.

If I may ask you, sir - why?

Encouraging game companies to port games over is fine, but why create a
"false market" for them?  I plan on buying CTP because I've seen
Civ1/Civ2, and a FreeCiv, a very good clone, and the odds of it being a good
piece of software are fairly good.  I do not plan on buying any more pieces
of commerical software, ever, unless a great racing or flight simulator
comes out (the latter is already being addressed in fury with free GPL software
such as Sabre and another one I forget the name of that was **VERY**
impressive).

Personally, if someone put out a FreeCiv CD full of great graphics, sounds
and support, I'd buy it.  That's the way I'd like to see games distributed
(and would buy them) - the source/engine is released and free, but support,
graphics and sound could be commerical.

If a piece of commerical software is ported to Linux that suits you, sure -
go out and buy it, but why go out of your way buying every commerical
application released in sight?

                                matt

  Matt Busigin [Perl/Tcl/Sh/C/C++/Lex/Yacc/HTML UNIX Programmer]
          "Overdrawn?  But I still have checks left!"
     xwing.org Debian Linux: 600 BogoMips AMD K6 300 128mb RAM
belgarath.xwing.org Debian Linux: 230 BogoMips AMD K5 166 128mb RAM
       email : spod(at)ewtoo.org, jediknight(at)xwing.org
     ** Email for 2048 bit PGP public encryption key! **