Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 2 tilesets now in cvs

To: gilleta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 2 tilesets now in cvs
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:54:49 +1100

Bruno Gilleta wrote:

> David Pfitzner wrote:
> > Nicolas and I have already discussed this, but the problem
> > I see is what to call the directory for the the brunus
> > tiles + dwp units?  (Yes, big problem :-)
> >
> > (I would prefer "classic" to refer to the "original" tiles.)
>
> Hello !
>
> I don't know if this will simplify or amplify the problem but I
> couldn't resist to add a 3D-colorization to the unit tiles too
> this afternoon

I guess it simplifies the problem: we include your tiles and
units as the alternative tileset in the release, as they are:
- good size (30x30)
- colormap friendly
- close enough to classic tileset to be familiar to long-time players
- better than classic tiles

> The Engels tileset is impressive, it should'nt be altered and
> keep it's millions of colours.

Actually, the Engels tiles (at least the original 45x45 ones)
_don't_ use very many colours.  Only about 60-odd if I recall.

> So is it possible to check at launch time the number of colors
> and choose the tileset to use in function of this number
> (less than 256 => original, 256 => brunus, > 256 => engels) ?
> Are monochromes and grayscale tilesets needed ?

What if a person has a high-colour display but still
prefers the smaller tilesets?  No, better to leave it as
a client command line option as it is now.  (And make sure
its covered in the docs before we release.)

Regards,
-- David